When applying for a Schengen visa, it is mandatory to have travel insurance covering your entire trip duration, this protects both the Schengen countries as well as the visa applicant from any expensive hospital bills.
This requirement is so important that if you do not have valid and approved Schengen travel insurance for your trip, your visa can be outright rejected.
But which Insurance is considered valid and approved? Are there any specific Insurance requirements for Schengen visa ?
This article will explain that for you and give you a list of Approved travel insurance providers for your country so that you can get your travel insurance for a Schengen visa from the right source.
Is it mandatory to get a travel Insurance for Schengen visa ?
Yes. According to It is mandatory to provide a proof of insurance when applying for Schengen visa.
When travelling to the Netherlands on a Schengen visa, you must be able to show proof that your insurance is valid for the entire duration of your stay in the Schengen area.
If you have a multiple-entry visa and it is not your first trip to the Schengen area on this visa, you must be able to show proof of insurance for every subsequent stay in the Schengen area.
It is important to book an insurance that gives you a certificate of coverage which not all insurance agents will give you.
Note if you are applying for Schengen visa from India, the above link will not work for you . A corresponding agency through which you can apply with is HDFC Ergo.
They have a specific version of Schengen travel insurance that covers the requirements for Schengen visa and is on the list of approved Travel insurance agencies in India.
According to the European law for Visa Code :
- Applicants for a uniform visa for one or two entries shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during their stay(s) on the territory of the Member States.
- Applicants for a uniform visa for more than two entries (multiple entries) shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance covering the period of their first intended
- In addition, such applicants shall sign the statement, set out in the application form, declaring that they are aware of the need to be in possession of travel medical insurance for subsequent stays.
- The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30 000.
- When a visa with limited territorial validity covering the territory of more than one Member State is issued, the insurance cover shall be valid at least in the Member States concerned.
- Applicants shall, in principle, take out insurance in their country of residence. Where this is not possible, they shall seek to obtain insurance in any other country.
- When another person takes out insurance in the name of the applicant, the conditions set out in paragraph 3 shall apply.
- When assessing whether the insurance cover is adequate, consulates shall ascertain whether claims against the insurance company would be recoverable in a Member State.
- The insurance requirement may be considered to have been met where it is established that an adequate level of insurance may be presumed in the light of the applicant’s professional situation. The exemption from presenting proof of travel medical insurance may concern particular professional groups, such as seafarers, who are already covered by travel medical insurance as a result of their professional activities.
- Holders of diplomatic passports shall be exempt from the requirement to hold travel medical insurance.
Who need a Schengen travel insurance ?
If you are one of the citizens of a country that needs a Schengen visa & you are applying for Schengen visa which is of a short stay type, then you need to get a Schengen travel insurance. The visa type can be tourist, business or visitor types.
If you are an Indian passport holder, then you can Buy HDFC Ergo Insurance for Schengen visa
So if you are a citizen of any of the below countries then you need to get a Schengen travel insurance.
|Papua New Guinea
|Sao Tome And Principe
|Central African Republic
|Dem. Rep. Of Congo
What are the requirements for Schengen travel insurance ?
When you apply for a Schengen visa you must show proof of insurance, such as the first page of your insurance policy (policy schedule). The document must show that:
- you are covered by the policy
- the insurance provides cover in all the countries of the Schengen area for the entire duration of your stay
- the insurance covers at least €30,000 in medical expenses for:
- hospital admission and treatment
- emergency treatment
- prescription medicine
- repatriation to your country of residence (including in the event of death).
You will also get a confirmation of insurance coverage document which must be submitted along with other visa documents
Which Insurance to buy for Schengen Visa ?
This is a tough question as the requirement for Schengen visa insurance is dependent on your citizenship. Generally, A list of approved Insurance vendors are published by the consulate.
Approved Schengen insurance providers in India
Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company 6 months – 70 years
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company 6 months – 70 years Travel Prime Super Age Policy without age limit
Bharti AXA General Insurance Company 3 month – 85 years
Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company 0 month – 70 years
Cigna TTK Health Insurance Limited 0 month – 75 years
Go Digit General Insurance Limited 0 month – 99 years
Future Generali India Insurance Company 6 months – 70 years
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company 3 months – 70 years
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company 3 months – 50 years Policies for Schengen Countries 51-85 years
IFFCO – Tokio General Insurance Company 3 months – 70 years
National Insurance Company 6 months – 60 years Schengen Plan 61- 80 years
Reliance General Insurance Company 3 months – 70 years Travel Care Policy – Schengen Plan up to 71-80years
Religare Health Insurance Company All Plans without age limit
Royal Sundaram Alliance Insurance Company 3 months – 70 years
SBI General Insurance Company 6 months – 70 years
Shiram General Insurance Company 3 Month – 65 years
Star Health & Allied Insurance Company 6 months – 70 years
Tata AIG General Insurance Company
6 months – 55 years
Travel Guard (without Sublimits) 56-70 years
Travel Guard Senior (without Sublimits) 71years and above
The New India Assurance Company 6 months – 70 years
United India Insurance Company without age limit
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company 0 month – 95 years
Accepted Travel insurance for Schengen visa – Phillipines
Malayan Insurance Company, Inc.
∙ Website : https://www.malayan.com/
∙ Website : https://www.assistcard.com/ph
- Standard Insurance Co
∙ Website : https://www.standard-insurance.com/index.html
- Starr International Insurance Philippines
∙ Website: https://starrcompanies.com/
- Pioneer Insurance and Surety Company
∙ Website: https://www.pioneer.com.ph/
∙ Website: https://mpioneer.com.ph/
- Pacific Cross Insurance, Inc.
∙ Website: https://www.pacificcross.com.ph/
- MAPFRE Insular Insurance Corporation
∙ Website: https://www.mapfre.com.ph/
- Liberty Insurance
∙ Website: https://www.libertyinsurance.com.ph/
- Mercantile Insurance Company
∙ Website: https://mercantile.ph/
- Cocogen Insurance
∙ Website: https://www.cocogen.com/
- PGA Sompo Insurance Corporation
∙ Website: https://www.pgasompo.com.ph/personal
- Philippine British Assurance Company
∙ Website: http://www.philbritish.com/
- MAA General Assurance Phils., Inc. (premium coverage plan only)
∙ Website: https://maa.com.ph/
- Paramount Life & General Insurance
∙ Website: https://www.paramount.com.ph/
- AXA Philippines
∙ Website: https://www.axa.com.ph/
- Fortune General Insurance Corp.
∙ Website: https://fgeninsurance.com/
- FPG Insurance
∙ Website: https://www.fpgins.com/
∙ Website: https://www.etiqa.com.ph/
Accepted Travel insurance for Schengen visa – Africa
Africa Merchant Assurance Company Ltd (AMACO)
Fidelity Shield Insurance Company Limited
Heritage Insurance Company Ltd
Kenindia Assurance Company Ltd
Occidental Insurance Company Ltd
Pacis Insurance Company Ltd
Sanlam General Assurance Ltd
ICEA LION General Insurance Co. Ltd
Geminia Insurance Company Ltd
Jubilee Allianz General Insurance (K) Ltd
GA Insurance Ltd
CIC general Insurance Ltd
AIG Kenya Insurance Company Ltd
Pioneer General Insurance Ltd
Tausi Assurance Company Ltd
Corporate Insurance Company Ltd
Old Mutual General Insurance Ltd
First Assurance Company Ltd
APA Insurance Ltd